Dark chocolate in large quantities, affect AST level?

Can eating large quantities of dark chocolate negatively affect AST levels?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

As for the chocolate affecting your AST levels, the only way I could perceive that this would be the case is if your calorie intake is such that you develop a degree of obesity. Sometimes obesity can generate what we refer to as doctor recheck the liver enzymes again in 3 to 6 months to document if there is any trend there. Otherwise, I don't think any additional investigations need to be done at this time.

I thank you very much for your query. I hope my response has been both informative and reassuring. I am available for your followups.

Dr. Robert.