Dark bruise on the scar of my knee. Surgery for torn ACL done. Cause of concern?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have a dark bruise (size of a half dollar) on the scar on my knee where I had surgery for torn ACL over 14 years ago. The bruise has been there for over 5 months now. Should I be worried? I am 27 yrs old.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

The surgery done 14 years ago does not seem to be related to this bruise. It is more likely to be a fresh injury.

First of all, you have to be sure whether it is a bruise since it does not usually remain the same for 5 months; it undergoes color changes and then resolves on its own in 1 to 2 months. There is no pain associated so it is less likely to be a bruise. If you have spontaneous bruising elsewhere on the legs with minimal trauma then you should get it checked by your doctor, otherwise you can wait and watch.

If there is just a dark patch of skin over the scar tissue with no pain or itching then it could be just hyperpigmemted scar tissue of no significance and you need not worry. But if there is any bleeding, pain, itching or increase in size from the present (half dollar) size then you should show it to a Dermatologist who can after thorough examination and if needed biopsy of the lesion, come to an exact diagnosis and treat accordingly.

I would advise that as of now the lesion doesn't seem worrisome, so you can just wait and watch. In case you develop the above mentioned symptoms then please seek prompt consultation.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.