Dark bruise on spine, trauma, blood capillaries ruptured, post inflammatory hyperpigmentation

My 13 year old daughter has a dark bruise on the middle of her spine. I asked her about it and she told me that several years ago when she was on swing, a friend accidentally pushed her into a tree. IIf this is the cause, I am wondering why the bruise remains - it does not hurt but it is noticeable. She is otherwise healthy.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 minutes later

A bruise happens because of trauma when blood from the ruptured capillaries (small blood vessels)near the skin's surface escapes by leaking out under the skin. A bruise generally lasts for 2 weeks after which it fades away. It is unusual for a bruise to last for so many years.

If the bruise has been there on the back, it can be due to recent trauma to her back which is less than two weeks ago. Did she suffer any recent trauma?

Secondly it can be due to post inflammatory hyperpigmentation after the skin bruised several years ago. It is a discoloration that is left on the skin after an underlying skin disease has healed and trauma is one of the commonest causes. The lesions range from light brown to black in color. It is another important possibility for such condition.

Mostly hyperpigmentation gradually lessens over time and normal skin color returns after 6-12 months but in some cases it may persist for many years.
It is very difficult to comment anything beyond this without examination. Can you send me some of the snaps of her lesion?

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions then please do post us. Wishing you good health.