Dark bruise on inner ankle, very painful. Why is it growing, swollen and harder? What could it be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a dark bruise on my inner right ankle that looks like a surgery scar and is very painful. I've never had surgery in that area and am very worried. Over the years its gotten larger (orginally starting out as a small dot) and remains swollen, sore and hard. What could it be? Which doctor would be able to treat this?
Thank you
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A scar like gradually increasing skin lesion with pain and swelling could be a malignant skin change. Such kind of lesions do need medical attention and skin biopsy for proper diagnosis.
You need to consult a dermatologist for a physical examination and relevant investigations so that treatment can be started early.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.