Dark brown skin complexion. Have light spots on toe, foot. What can this be? Is it fungal infection?

I am a black female age 34 with medium skin complexion (dark brown). On my left foot on the big toe and second toe I have some spots that are light in color and appear to look like burn spots. What could this be and what could I use to bring my color back. Seemingly it looks like it could have been a type of fungal infection that was severe at one point and then once healed my skin was discolored.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 58 minutes later

Thanks for writing in and for a clear, good quality picture.

What you have is called Frictional and post inflammatory hyperpigmenttaion.
It means that the pigmentation is because of dryness and friction with the footwear you use. It is very common with people who have a coloured skin.

The problem is compounded by infections or dermatitis over the skin and excessive scratching too.

To treat this problem, I would suggest to use a thick moisturizing cream 2-3 times daily and wear proper footwear.

Apply 4% hydroquinone cream daily at night over the affected area.

You may also consider chemical peeling for faster resolution. You will have to see a dermatologist personally for this.

Though this problem takes along time to go (5-6months), it goes eventually, so nothing to worry about.

I hope I have answered your queries.
Follow-up: Dark brown skin complexion. Have light spots on toe, foot. What can this be? Is it fungal infection? 9 minutes later
for the 4% cream is this something I need to get from my physician or can it be purchased over the counter? I was starting to think I was a freak or something simply because my left foot has this and then my right foot is all cute:) I'm a teacher so this is the time of year when I pull out my flip flops.....Thanks a heap
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 25 minutes later
4% hydroquinone is only available with prescription.

It was good hearing from you.

Thanks and all the best