Dark brown patches appeared on groin area. How to cure this?

I have dark brown patches of skin on my groin area. They do not itch or burn and they have not spread. The appeared not long after I got pregnant with my daughter. She is not 13 months and they never went away.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 40 minutes later
Thanks for sharing your query with us.
These dark brown patches could be
Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation due to any pre existing skin lesion at the area of involvement
Acanthosis nigricans
Groin area as such is darker than rest of the body and in pregnancy due to hormonal changes might have acquired more pigmentation

I would be able to assist you in a better way, if you could attach an image of the concerned area.
Hoping to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Dark brown patches appeared on groin area. How to cure this? 16 minutes later
Dr. Pathak,
I have uploaded a photo. Please let me know if any issues viewing it. Thank you for your time.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 22 hours later
Apologies for the delayed response.
I have gone through the image attached.
It seems that almost an year back you developed fungal infection (Tinea cruris) which has probably healed with postinflammatory hyperpigmentation.

I would like to know if the lesion were itchy and scaly when they had developed an year back and if there is any complaint in the lesion right now.

Usually post inflammatory hyperpigmentation resolves with time on its own. Certain creams like hydroquinone, Kojic acid creams can also be used to help lesion resolve fast.

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Dark brown patches appeared on groin area. How to cure this? 9 minutes later
It has never been really itchy, just seems like dry skin. Rarely has it been itchy. When it is, I think it's mainly because it's dry. I just put lotion on the area and that seems to help the dryness. It's never really bothered me in any other way except being embarrassed with my husband. So do you think the suggested creams will help? Are those prescription creams?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 24 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation is just a darkly pigmented skin lesion without itching or dryness. As the lesions in your case are still dry and itchy( even if its mild), it basically signifies that lesions are still active ie fungal infection is still persisting( in uploaded image though no scaling dryness is seen)
In this scenario, treatment option would be
1) apply an antifungal cream for two weeks like clotrimazole cream
2) wear loose cotton clothes
3) keep the area as much dry as possible
Once the dryness and itching is gone, we have treated the infection. Once the infection clears off, pigmentation would reduce with time or you can use pigmentation reducer creams as I have mentioned previously.

Hope that helps.