Ask a Urologist   »  

Dark brown blood in urine, menstrual cramps, frequent urination, brown vaginal discharge. Not pregnant

I am a 39 yo healthy female. I noticed dark brown blood in my urine yesterday and today I've had bad menstrual cramps off and on throughout the day. I am urinating more frequently but no burning/pain. I have also noticed a light brown vaginal discharge and am not due for my period. I am not pregnant. I had a similar problem a few months ago and was treated for uti even though urine test came back negative.
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Light brown urine indicates presence of blood in it.

There could be many reasons for blood in urine and pain in abdomen, the common ones are

>Stone disease: stone any where in tract can lead to this.
>Urine infection
>Infection in urinary bladder
>Some local infection

It is advisable that you get in touch with your doctor and get your self examined. You may need some investigations like urine examination, ultrasound to have proper diagnosis.

In mean time,

Please drink plenty of fluids
Take light diet

I hope this helps and clarifies your concern.