Dark armpits, black spots on forearm, dark knuckles and knees. Dark complexion. What to do?

i have dark arm pits and have black spots in my forearm. which makes it embarassing to wear any sleeveless dress. can you suggest what to do.
I have always had dark knuckles, knee, back neck , armpits even the lines in my hand are very dark. my complexion is also dark .I am giving this information just in case it is relevant to solve my problem
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 6 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

Dark spots on forearm can be lichen planus ,post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, ashy dermatosis etc.

a)Also I would like to know do the spots itch/ symptomatic ?
b)since when you have this?
c)Did you had some skin eruptions after which these spots have occurred?

Can you upload good quality photographs of affected area.Photos can be uploaded by using right hand side of this box.

Dark knuckles ,back neck , armpits can be due to vitamin B12 deficiency ,
A vitamin B12 level test in serum can diagnose the condition. Normal level ranges from 300 to 1000. Any values below 300 are diagnostic of B12 deficiency.
Please get vitamin B12 value done at your nearest lab.

Treatment of hyperpigmentation can be suggested after knowing the cause.

Please answer the above questions to help you better.

Anticipating your response.

Dr Sudarshan.