Danger to the embryo on taking embryo supplements without progesterone deficiency?

Mar 2016

I had a missed abortion 2 months ago at 9 weeks pregnant, and i am trying to conceive again. The cause of the abortion is unknown. My OBGYN has prescribed me 200 mg of progesterone (Progeffik) daily since the day i test positive in a pregnancy test. I would like to know if there can be damage to the embryo if i take progesterone supplements without having a progesterone deficiency.

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer to your query.

Previous missed abortion in the first trimester may occur due to anembryonic gestation (blighted ovum), fetal chromosomal abnormalities, maternal disease, Luteal Phase Defect (LPD), diabetes etc. Virtually all spontaneous abortions are preceded by missed abortion.

From past obstetric history, your OBGYN doctor has prescribed progesterone supplements which helps to prevent miscarriage & support current pregnancy.

Above medication is micronised progesterone which does not cause any harmful effect to growing fetus and it is very much safe. You should take this according to your doctor's recommendation.

You should take dry food stuffs before breakfast to avoid nausea or morning sickness along with healthy protein XXXXXXX diet with more vegetables and folic acid supplements.

You should avoid unnecessary anxiety or tension by regular meditation, maintain genital hygiene properly, drink plenty of fluids or water and take adequate bed rest with total avoiding heavy work/ long journey etc.

Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly ask me by viewing this page WWW.WWWW.WW
Wish your good health & successful motherhood. Do periodic check up with scheduled ultrasound scan to your doctor for better assessment of fetal well being.

Dr Soumen