Danger in the developing papiloma? Sent for the biopsy

Dentist, Pedodontics
My 7 yr old went today to have a growth possibly a papiloma ? spelling of this ? Thwy removed the growth but gave little insight as to what it may be??? They mentioned possible virus, and said they need to find out what it is. It was sent for a biopsy. What am I dealing with here??

I forgot to mention it was from her upper gum in between the two front teeth if this of any help!!
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 3 hours later

Thank you for your query. Let me explain you something about papilloma, so that you will not be worried further.

Papilloma is a finger like growth on skin and mucous membrane, mostly caused by a group of around 150 viruses called ' Human Papillomavirus' (HPV). Some types of papilloma are also caused by local irritation or trauma. Most of the papillomas are harmless and rarely causes serious problem when compared to other form of papilloma located in the region of uterus /vagina and penis. At these locations they might be caused by some serious strain of HPV and could be concerning (risks of cancer). "So the papilloma in the oral cavity doesn't pose serious threats XXXXXXX

Most of the time it causes local problems as it obstructs or compresses the part of the organ where it has grown. That causes problem of normal functioning of that system, for example distress in breathing if it occurs in trachea, neurological complications if it occurs in Brain etc. I wanted to mean that it itself does not cause any problem.

Almost all papillomas occur on the skin or in oral cavity are absolutely harmless. Most skin papilloma sheds by itself. It may require cauterization or minor surgical removal, as it happened to your ward. And it rarely recurs.

In brief, I wanted to mention that Papilloma is absolutely benign condition in young children. The cancerous outcome of HPV is a rare condition and that too happens to only elderly individual, who are above 35 years old. You may read this for further information: WWW.WWWW.WW

Hope your query is answered. Let me know if you have any other concerns.