Dandruff, itchy scalp and boils on head, hair loss. How do i get rid of them?

Hi I am 28 years old and 5.7 ft with 73 kg. I have dandruff, itching, boils in head since; the last 2 years. My hairs are also falling vary rapidly. I consulted a dermatologist and underwent a treatment for 1 year but to no avail. Please help me to get rid of these dandruff and boils.
Posted Thu, 14 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 1 hour later

Dandruff is a fungal infection while boils is a bacterial infections.

It seems that you are suffering from sebborhoea scalp in which the symptoms mentioned by you fit into.

A course of Itraconazole for a week and shampoos like the ones containing ketoconazole and flucinalone can be helpful in such situations. You can go back to the doctor and ask about the same. It is going to be a prolonged treatment so be patient and trust your doctor. It cannot be quick fix.

Maintain proper personal hygiene along with scalp hygiene.

Dr. Rohit Batra
Follow-up: Dandruff, itchy scalp and boils on head, hair loss. How do i get rid of them? 13 hours later
thanks you sir for above suggestion. i also want to know that

1) in a day how many tablet i have to take of (itraconazole) medicine. its one week course is sufficient? after that i dont need to take itraconazole or other medicine.

2) for how many days i have to use this shampoos which contains ketoconazole and flucinalone. can u suggest any shampoo ?

3) for how many days this treatment will continue.
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 6 hours later

Thanks for your follow up query.

All these drugs are prescription medicines and should be taken after a consultation with a dermatologist in person.

I am really sorry that I won’t be able to give you the instructions for the same.

Hope you understand.

Dr.Rohit Batra