Damaged brachial plexus from a nerve block. Have tingling in hand and fingers, pain in arm. Worried

I had damage to my brachial plexus from a nerve block gone bad in Dec. 2000. Tonight I fell asleep at computer, I woke up in misery with pain because my neck jolted so hard, I have tingling in left hand fingers, the pinky the worse, pain in my arm around the top outside of my elbow, pain all in my left side of neck, feel like my heart is pounding
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I think the abnormal posture while sleeping has compressed a nerve trunk in the brachial plexus. Given your symptoms, I would be looking at involvement of C5, C6 and C7 dermatomes.
Overall, I think you would need to go the ER and get a splint in place. Additionally, you would need an opioid analgesic to help control the pain. You would probably need some physiotherapy as well.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.