Damaged arteries, wounds not healing, varicose veins, diabetic. Had surgery of nerve near abdomen for better blood circulation. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 70 year old man and was a chain smoker till a month back.Because of severe pain I had a surgery last month( operated a nerve near abdomen for more blood circulation in the left leg) doctor advised there may be only 20% or 40% improvement in blood circulation, b'coz of smoking, the main 3 Arteries are damaged very badly, now wounds are not healing due to vericause and I am a diabetes patient too. from last few days I have noticed the left leg has become very thinn (only Skelton & Skin) the other leg is fat.With stretches I walk around just 15-25 steps in every half an hour more than that it is not possible.kindly suggest any other medication or surgery if possible.
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Atul Wankhede 5 hours later

You unfortunately have the complications that prevent proper nutrition to the limb. Atherosclerosis with diabetes and varicose has taken a toll on your leg. 15-20 feets of walk is your claudication distance which is not good enough.

The solution to this is in dealing one problem at a time. First you need to monitor your blood sugar levels and strictly keep it under control. Protect your limb against any further injuries since diabetes delays healing. Next consult a surgeon for varicose veins. He might advise you to use a varicose stocking or surgery depending upon the severity. Meanwhile you also need to do exercises with help of physiotherapist to help regain the lost power and bulk of wasted muscles.

You may consider using health supplements to help muscles regain strength. Operative intervention in form of putting a stent at the site of block to improve circulation can be done with consultation of vascular surgeon.

Hope this answer was informative. If you need more help feel free to ask more. I'm available for follow up.