Damage to newborn on inhalation of scopalomine?

are there any studies or stats on damage to newborns when the mother in labor inhaled scopalomine?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 56 minutes later

Scopolamine (Hyoscine) belongs to Category C class of drugs in
"An U.S. FDA categorisation of risk of drug use in pregnancy"

Category C: Either studies in animals have revealed adverse effects on the foetus (teratogenic or embryocidal or other) and there are no controlled studies in women or studies in women and animals are not available. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the foetus.

As there is no studies of this drug in human beings we cannot predict the outcome.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Damage to newborn on inhalation of scopalomine? 4 hours later
Just for your info. I have known two kids whose mothers breathed scopalomine during birth in the 60's, and both are somewhat damaged, similar to aspbergers, low frustration tolerance, etc. If they haven't done a study, one wonders why.

Thanks very much for your response.

Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

It is possible that what you have mentioned could be true. Its could also be possible that the defects could have been caused due to some other reason. Because I believe awareness of teratogenic effects of drugs in 60's would have been very low as compared to today.

Moreover you have specifically mentioned that the mother had inhaled Scopolamine during birth. Teratogenic effects of drugs occurs during pregnancy more specifically in the first 12 weeks or growth disturbances may occur till 20 week period. So mother inhaling Scopolamine during labor / giving birth is highly unlikely to cause those effects on their children.

I cannot comment on to why the study on teratogenic effects of Scopolamine has not been till date. Because I couldn't find any reason in the medical literature.

For drug studies to be done you need prior approval from FDA, Ethical Committee and various other boards and not to mention huge capital amount involved. So, I definitely cannot comment on it.

I have answered your query to the best of my ability. Hope this is adequate and informative.