Damage of skin, smoker. Is there a possibility of regaining my clear skin, if I quit smoking?

I went through a stressful period and started smoking for two months. I was not a smoker. I looked in the mirror and saw that my clear skin had been damaged. I threw away the cigerettes immediately. I have no craving. Will my skin clear up? I see some improvement after two days. I have always been against smoking. I was stupid. I'm 55 years of age.
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Smoking is very aggressive in speeding up the effects of aging and especially in causing a lifeless, dull, and dry skin. Another classic sign of a smoker are the wrinkles that form around the mouth from sucking on cigarettes and the frown lines that accumulate around the eyes of a smoker from constantly peering through a haze of smoke.

Moreover, smoking speeds up skin damage with what is called 'free radicals' formed by the exposure to tobacco smoke.

These free radicals are not only highly unstable, but they are also powerful molecules that cause disease and damage to cell DNA. When damage is done, your body starts to behave erratically, making your skin age faster.

With a good diet, supplements and skin care, you would be well on your way to complete recovery and the best thing with you is that you have smoked only for two months and have already quit it.

Skin treatments and other procedures can reverse most of the effects of the aging process after smoking is ended and will help aid the self-confidence and appearance of the person, as long as smoking is not taken up again.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck