Dad heavy drunker. Suggest medicine to get rid of the habit? Is disulfiram helpful?

Hello Sir,

I just want to know how to make the alcohol consumption stopped.
My dadis a drunker, he has this habit from almost 20 years, I just want that to be stopped. We have tried to convince him to quit the drinking habit but never succeeded. He drinks daily and is irritating in the house. Please guide in this regards.

He is not ready to take any medication too, we have to provide the medicine without his knowledge.

I heard from one doctor that "disulfiram" will be helpfull , Can it be provided. I am afraid of its after effects.

Please help in this regards,

Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Hebbar 5 hours later
Thanks for the query and your concern towards your father. Your father must be addicted to alcohol to the extent that he can not think of his life without alcohol. He will have strong constant desire to drink and if he stops to drink he will not sleep and feel restless. These are the reasons why they don't want leave alcohol. Only the way out from this problem is to admit him to a de-addiction center and do counselling over a period of 2 to 3 months. There are such centers in Bangalore and they come in a van and pick up the person from the house. If someone can take such bold initiative in your family it can give results. Giving disulfiram without persons knowledge is XXXXXXX that too in this elderly age. It can be XXXXXXX if the person does not take medical help immediately after drinking while taking disulfiram. There are some other medicines which can be given without his knowledge but this can be discussed only personally with you(these medicines produce temporary weakness which can scar the person and he may think of stopping alcohol). If you want to know about this option you can visit my web site WWW.WWWW.WW and get my details
Dr Sudhir hebbar