D&C done due to missed abortion. Trying to conceive. Had anovulation and missing period. Concerned

Mar 2013
My periods are overdue and I had anovulation last month. D&C done last year due to missed abortion. Trying for baby
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 6 hours later
Thanks for writing to us, and trusting us with your health query.
Anovulation means inability to ovulate.
The commonest condition causing anovulation is polycystic ovaries.
Rare causes are thyroid disorders, adrenal disorders, advanced ovarian ageing due to age etc.
In this condition, the ovary is studded with multiple small follicles, but no mature egg is released for ovulation each month.
It is characterized by decreased menstrual flow and delayed / irregular periods, in addition there are features diagnosed on ultrasound and by hormonal tests.
I would love to have further details of your previous abortion, menstrual pattern, treatment and investigation done so far etc.
Also, at 36, now you should consult an Infertility Specialist, as anovulation requires detailed investigations, and you should not lose more time before getting proper treatment.
You would require thorough physical check up, transvaginal ultrasound with assessment of AFC ( antral follicular count ) , complete hormonal profile testing ( complete blood count, viral markers, blood grouping, Day 2 FSH and LH hormonal measurement , AMH ( anti mullerian hormone ) , thyroid hormone assay, adrenal hormone profile, glucose challenge test etc.
Semen analysis of your partner is a must.
Assessment of your fallopian tubes is crucial also.
At 36, I would urge you to promptly go for detailed evaluation, and proceed for ART ( assisted reproductive technologies ) if indicated by your tests.
Also, you might require the help of ovulation inducing drugs to help you ovulate.

Take care, wish you all the best, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.