Cysts in armpits, festering, draining

My daughter is 21 years old, 200 lbs, 5'7'' tall and has several large cysts under on her armpits....they do fester and eventually drain...she probably has 6 or seven under each arm.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Most probably the cysts that your daughter has are caused by hair root infection known as folliculitis (infection of hair follicles). This condition is common in skin folds particularly if a lot of moisture is also present. Arm pit is such a place.

She will need treatment with a course of antibiotics taken orally as well as for local application. Your physician can prescribe her the right antibiotics.

Along with this ask her to wear loose cotton clothes which will help to keep the area dry and maintain good local hygiene. Proper antiseptic precautions should be taken while removing underarm hair. This should take care of the problem and also prevent this from happening again.

I also noticed that your daughter is overweight. This could be worsening her problem because of XXXXXXX skin folds. She will benefit from diet control and regular exercise.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further queries, you can write to me again.