Ask a Urologist   »  

Cystoscopy done. Found a lot of mucus floating in bladder. What does that mean?

I had a cytoscopy today and the doctor found a lot of mucus floating in my bladder. What does that mean?
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 43 minutes later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a few things before answering your query

1. Why did you undergo a cystoscopy?
2. Have you undergone a urine routine and a ultrasound abdomen? Please attach your reports.
3. Any history of fever or burning micruration?

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Cystoscopy done. Found a lot of mucus floating in bladder. What does that mean? 13 hours later
1. My urologist has generally been telling as little as he possibly can about why he was doing everything he was doing.

My primary symptoms have been difficulty urinating (moderate), frequent urination (not severe but moderate), post urination drip, and painful ejaculation. Also, I've been ejaculating sooner in the past couple years as my symptoms have gradually gotten worse, and just like with the urine after ejaculating there is often some semen that drips out later. Urinating hasn't been painful, but there have been a few times where (toward the end of urinating) I still felt like there was a little bit that wouldn't leave, and that feeling would last for another 15 minutes or so. It's uncomfortable but I wouldn't call it painful. My urologist checked my prostate and said that it was inflamed.

2. I don't have the reports, but I definitely gave them a urine sample. They did an ultrasound of my bladder (is that what you're talking about?) and found that there wasn't anything, I was evacuating my bladder. Do you think I could call my urologist's office and get some of the information you need?

3. I can't remember the last time I had a fever, I think it was several months ago. I haven't had burning sensations. I am pretty sure that this isn't a bacterial thing, because it's been gradually getting worse over the past 5 years, and only now has it gotten bad enough for me to see a doctor about it.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 13 hours later

Thanks for replying

It would have helped if he had handed over the reports to you.

Thanks for the detailed reply, it has given me a much clearer picture

With your present history and considering your age I would say that you have an infected prostate which is giving you symptoms like
1. Painful ejaculation
2. Feeling of inadequate evacuation of bladder
3. Premature ejaculation,etc

This is also the main reason why there were mucous laden materials seen through the cystoscopy.
Prostatitis is treatable with antibiotics, usually levofloxacin or nitrofurantoin is given for 15 days to a month depending on how the symptoms improve. Antibiotics can also be changed based on the culture report

For now

1. Drink lots of water
2. Cranberry juice or syp citraalka can help relieve you of some of the symptoms (note: both cant be taken when nitrofuratoin is prescribed as they tend to neutralize the effects of the antibiotics)
3. Wear loose undergarments preferably boxer shorts

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones I will be happy to get back to you

I wish you good health

Do you have any idea why my other urologist would have missed that? My impression (based on the research I've looked at) is that the possibility of infection is the first thing that a doctor would rule out in this kind of case, and I am fairly certain that my urologist ruled it out already. Do you know of precise details from the report, i.e. certain measures, etc., that would help you know for certain? I could call the urologist's office and ask about it, in that case.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 18 hours later

I would like to know the following things
1. Random blood sugar
2. Urine routine and culture
3. Complete blood count
4. Renal function test
5. Findings on the cystoscope

These tests would help me know your exact status