Cystic pimple on the cheek oozing heavily, seems to be heavily swollen. What will help reduce swelling?

Hi! I have what I think is a cystic pimple on my cheek for about five days now. I went to the dermatologist today and he had drained it for me. He had thought it might have been a boil but large amounts of puss came out. Its still swollen, large, very red and hard. The dermatologist gave me antibiotics to take for about a week. I was wondering what should I do to help the swelling go down and if I should put some type of acne treatment on it? Is it normal for a cystic pimple once popped to still be very swollen several hours later?
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 46 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare magic
You seem to be having severe nodulo cystic acne. A large cyst has to be drained.

Yes, it is normal for a cyst to show swelling even days later.

Severely inflamed cysts can be treated with intra lesional steroid injection soon after draining to bring the inflammation down under cover of antibiotics. That is what I do in my practice and results are good.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any other queries, I will be happy to help.