Cyst removed surgically from parietal region. Having dull pain in the operated area. Remedy?

Nov 2013

I had a cyst removed from my right parietal region of my brain back in 1998. Since that time, I remember feeling strange like I wasn't fully conscious. On top where the operation took place, I felt a low intensity dull pain. I remember pressing on my scalp and hearing some crackling noises. After some time I associated this with the veins under my skin. I told my doctor about it, but he seemed to think it wasn't anything serious.

Years later I noticed the crackling noises getting worse and widening over a larger area. I used to be able to press against these crackling veins and they would stop crackling for awhile like there was pressure being released. about a minute or so later I would notice various areas of my body would itch just under the skin. a few minutes later and it would stop.

After a few years of this I insisted that I get an MRI to check the site of the operation. They found nothing. My doctor said he could not say what the problem may be based on my descriptions. I now go through a ritual every night. I lay on my back until I start to feel the pressure on top of my head, then I turn onto my right side until it becomes unbearable. I lift my head and shake it back and forth until I feel the pressure relief. I lay on my back until the pressure comes back and then I turn onto my left side. Sometimes the pressure will relief itself, if not, I shake my head. I'll finally start to fall asleep when I feel a sudden pressure buildup (like some kind of blockage). I feel myself "slipping away" with weakness and lack of coordination unlike I've ever felt before.

At this point I shake my head vigorously and the pressure relieves. I repeat the above actions and eventually fall asleep or they frighten me to the point where I get up and eventually fall asleep sitting upright on the couch. I'm terrified that I'm about to have a stroke or something. My doctor tells me that I seem to be OK, but I know that what I'm feeling isn't right. Please help.

I'm 45, diabetic (A1c at 7.4 from 12.2 3 yrs. ago)
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that your problems remain undiagnosed and no proper treatment has yet been started.
I agree that there is no primary problem in the brain now, as your MRI is normal.
However, since most of your symptoms are related to while you lie down or trying to sleep, we need to exclude other causes that could affect brain functions.
Useful tests are echocardiogram to rule out a heart disease and sleep studies (polysomnography) to rule out any sleep disorder. An ABG (arterial blood gases) may be done when you have symptoms, as high Co2 (carbon dioxide) levels may cause similar symptoms.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog: