Cyst on knee cap. Taken Clindamycin, Levaquin for gum infection. Is the cyst a side-effect of these medicines?

For an infection in my gums, I was put on a round of Clindamycin(1 week), then Levaquin(1 week-took last one Monday), and now back on Clindamycin(day 2 of 5 days) . Two days ago what appears to be a cysts appeared on my knee. It moves, send vibrations/shock waves through my knee when hit. It is on the upper outside area of the knee cap and shows only when I bend my knee. Do you think that there are any connections to the meds?
Posted Wed, 18 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 4 hours later

As you describe there seems to be Osteomyelitis of the jaw bone because of the bad tooth and severely infected canal. Osteomyelitis and post surgery antibiotic cover is given by drugs that kills anaerobic bacteria for example Clindamycin and Levaquin altenatively. I guess the regimen was rightly instituted.

There is no relation ship between the above antibiotic cover and the cysts that are newly appearing on the knee cap.

This seems to be bursa around the knee joint or synovial cyst of the knee joint capsule. It can be aspirated by the Orthopedic surgeon under aseptic conditions. Though not worrisome at this stage but it can grow in size further. The bursa or cysts would not appear and becomes prominent when you flex the knee.

Continue the medication and see a surgeon preferably Orthopedic Surgeon to aspirate the cyst.

Hope this helps. If you think I addressed your query please close the discussion and rate the answer, else I am available for a follow up query.