Cyst in the ovary wall. Under medication. No medical history. Easy way to get cure?

My wife aged 38 years has a problem on her period. it started months back and on check up it has revealed that there is a cyst in the overy wall. currently she is under medication and asked to take medicine for 3 cycle and to consult the doctor. to check with you, if she continuously using the medicine will have a side affect at a later time. and how long she has to continue the medicine. She has no other medical history so far
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 37 minutes later

Medical treatment is given when a cyst is smaller than 4 inches in size and when the cyst is mostly functional. The best possible combination is the oral pills and /or pain relievers. The treatment may be given until the symptoms subside and the size of the cyst regresses. Surgical treatment may be needed for a cyst of more than 4 inches in size.

The present medication prescribed by your doctor is the standard mode of treatment and may be continued as suggested. Regular monitoring of the progress is necessary to see when the treatment may be stopped. With this medication there are no reported long term effects and it helps to correct the menstrual problem your wife is suffering from at present.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.