Cyst in kidney, advised strict diet, history of high uric acid level. Anything we need to take care of?

Urologist
Question
I want to consult for my father. His has a history of high Uric acid level. He also has a small cyst in the left kidney. Doctor has advised to a strict diet. And has assured there is not much to worry about. But still I would like to know if there is anything we need to take care of ?
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 18 minutes later
Hi AAAAA,

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
His lab tests are normal except raised creatinine, which u r aware of.
Uric acid seems to be in control.
The cyst does not require treatment.

Keep in touch with a nephrologist and thats all he needs.
Dr GS

Follow-up: Cyst in kidney, advised strict diet, history of high uric acid level. Anything we need to take care of? 2 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX
Thank you for the response. Does he require to follow a strict diet plan? In case yes can it be done by you or do I have to consult separately by a dietician. Can you suggest what food he should avoid? He's sopped pulses totally. Can he take moong dal? Can he take soya bean (soya chunks)? We mostly eat sweet water fish (roe). Can he take the same, chicken and egg white in small portions? He has started a diet of low fat (cow) milk. Any limit on the intake of this. He's taking a moderate sized cup in a day. Can you advise any other restrictions?
Regards, AAAAA

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Hi
Thanks for ur reply.
The diet control looks ok to me. Essentially it is low salt/ low protein.
A dietitian would be the best person to calculate energy needs (calorie) and the exact amount of the foods he can consume.
Kindly proceed and follow RENAL DIET. All the best.
Dr GS

Follow-up: Cyst in kidney, advised strict diet, history of high uric acid level. Anything we need to take care of? 15 hours later
I'd like to ask my last question. Can he do light excercise? Any restriction in regular traveling and moving about? He has to travel every month to Delhi and farther.

AAAAA

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 40 minutes later
Hi

Exercise, travel and moving about are acceptable.
He can travel as he wishes.

Dr GS

Follow-up: Cyst in kidney, advised strict diet, history of high uric acid level. Anything we need to take care of? 3 hours later
Thank you so much Doctor. If there is anything I'll come up with a new query.

Thank you once again.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 29 minutes later
Hi

Dr GS