Cyst drained after removal of ovary. Feeling bloated, gaining weight and body pain. Could the cyst have regrown?

Since having a large cyst drained after removal of the last ovary i had in 2008 (now total hysterectomy). They said the cyst was caused from the surgery, & was the size of a football. my abdomen has not been the same since. I dont want to keep going back to my GP's, feel a fraud. Abdomen feels bloated all the time. Bowels ok. Weight gain. Diet is good. Now i have aches & pains every where. Joints mainly. After Cyst drained was never checked to see if it had come back. Was scanned just after it was drained & that was it.
Past few weeks have had fluttering on left side near kidney. Often not painful just irritating, but when painful feels like a stitch. Could this cyst have regrown over the past few years & is now causing havoc with the rest of me?
Many thanks. XXXXXX.
Posted Wed, 22 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 1 hour later

Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic with your query.

Do you know what was the pathology report of the cyst that was drained. Pathological nature of the cyst can decide or give a clue to whether or not it can recur.

You should get a ultrasound examination of the abdomen since it will immediately tell you whether the cyst has recurred or not.

There can be many causes for aches and pains in the joints. Cyst is unlikely to cause these. Joint pains will need a separate work up by a rheumatology specialist.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal
Follow-up: Cyst drained after removal of ovary. Feeling bloated, gaining weight and body pain. Could the cyst have regrown? 15 hours later
Dear Dr Singal.
Thanks for your reply.
As far as i know the pathology was clear. I wasn't told otherwise. Maybe my GP has these details.
I will consult with him as to arrange an ultrasound.

I have had a lot of pain in my hips. one in particular. i did consult my GP. Took anti inflamitory drugs, but this did nothing. He then gave me a steroid injection. The pain had subsided for a short while but has returned. I will also discuss with my GP what you have suggested about a rheumatology specialist.

I have not felt right since i had that cyst drained.( tube in abdomen, into a bag) My stomache feels so tight, feels so hard, which starts right under my breasts. When i bend down it feels something is in the way. I have gained weight, all around the stomache area, no where else. I am only 4ft 10". & have always been a size 10. Iam bigger now at a size 14 than i was when i had my 4 children.
Oh & Sorry forget to ask what all this fluttering is in my side. Like a quivering every now & then.
Thank you for your advice.
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 4 hours later

Thanks for getting in touch again. I am certain that your symptoms have nothing to do with the cyst you had. Still you should try to trace the pathology report.

A Rheumatology consultation will certainly be needed, so will an ultrasound. This fluttering may have something to do with muscles in that area.

Best wishes.

Dr Dinesh Singal