Cyst behind uterus along with another undefined shadow. Prescribed to do MRI. Could it be cancerous?

I have a 5cm cyst and a unknown shadow they think in or behind my uterus with a CA 125 reading of 400. I am having a MRI next week to find out what the shadow may be. Does the CA 125 mean the what ever I have is cancerous?
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later

A cyst in the pelvis along with another undefined shadow, with raised CA 125 may be because of various reasons. Though ovarian cancer is one possibility, it may be due to other benign conditions like endometriosis. Are you still menstruating? That would raise the possibillities of endometriosis. Do you have any symptoms?

The MRI would answer whether it has solid components. If there are solid areas then possibility of cancer is there and we should go for surgery to remove it and determine its nature.

The MRI will also tell us from where these lesions are arising. The shadow can even be of an uterine fibroid which is totally benign.

Please keep me posted with the reports. I can explain you further then.
Best wishes,
Follow-up: Cyst behind uterus along with another undefined shadow. Prescribed to do MRI. Could it be cancerous? 5 hours later
Thank you for the reply. I have been experiecing abdominal pain, bloating etc for the last few months starting off every few weeks then getting more regular the last month and a half or so. I have had an endodemeaterail abalisian ( not sure how to spell it) and have not had a period since I had this in 2007. I have also had two ceasrians.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Hello again,
I am afraid that with these symptoms possibility of ovarian cancer is quite high. After the MRI we should decide about further management quickly. If there is suspicion of cancer then surgery should be done.