Cyclishe depression, 100 hits of depression, bipolar disorder, manic episodes. Ayurvedic treatment ?

Ayurveda Treatment for a cyclishe depression (2-4 weeks within a average period of 11 weeks). The other weeks are rather normal. That means > 4 times a year a Depression HIT. I have had already more than 100 HITS. Hypomanic periods are now no longer involved. I am retired from Holland and live permanently with my Dutch wife already 5 years in Cha-Am / Hua Hin Thailand. 250km south of Bangkok near th beach.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later

With your query it is clear that you are suffering from Bipolar disorder in which patient has both depressive and hypomanic/manic episodes.

Once the patient diagnosed with bipolar disorder their life time diagnosis remain bipolar even if course of illness change like they may only depressive or manic episode in later course of illness. In such case treatment always given for bipolar illness like mood stabilisers as you are receiving Depakine.

Apart from that if on mood stabilisers depressive episode occur, then we first check whether patient is taking mood stabilisers in adequate doses, if yes then we add antidepressant depending on severity of depression for short duration. In many cases when patient does not respond to adequate doses of one mood stabiliser then we add or replace it with other mood stabiliser.

Although I have not used ayurvedic medicines it appears to have only anti depressants action, so in your case it is not suitable alone. But in case of depression you can use it after optimisation dose of Depakine under supervision of your physician.

At last here we can guide you regarding treatment but can not give name of medicine for illness like bipolar illness in which patient has risk of loss of judgement in some point of time in their illness. So take treatment only in supervision of your psychiatrist.

Hope this will help you,

Wish you good helth,
Follow-up: Cyclishe depression, 100 hits of depression, bipolar disorder, manic episodes. Ayurvedic treatment ? 48 minutes later
Where in the Kerala State in India is the best CLINIC for the Ayurveda Treatment of my above mentioned "special" Bipolar Disorder? (3 options please).
And how many days I have to plan for that? What is the price? And what is included in the price?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

There are few centers who claim to treat Bipolar disorder through Ayurvedic medicines but it would be difficult for me to comment on the efficacy of the treatment as I practice Allopathy.

Please do your complete homework regarding the clinic and leaving your current treatment and involve your family members too in decision making.

Wish you good health.