Cut on old scar, painful and sensitive, red and warm, no discharge, some swelling. Should I be concerned about pain?

Nephrologist
Question
About two weeks ago a cut myself across an old scar (fx repair, left ankle, under the plate). It is very painful and seems to be very sensitive. It is slightly red and not too warm and there is no sign of discharge. (There is some swelling, but my ankles swell when I sit too long). But I have referring pain now, like to the bottom of my foot and toes. Should I be concerned or have maybe I have irritated a nerve? Is this common with scars?
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a few more things in order to help you better

1. How XXXXXXX was the cut?
2. Is it causing difficulty in your walking?
3. How did you get the cut?
4. Did you take antibiotics and painkillers?
5. It would be excellent if you could attach a photo of the cut

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Cut on old scar, painful and sensitive, red and warm, no discharge, some swelling. Should I be concerned about pain? 17 minutes later
I am not sure of the depth of the cut maybe a 1/4" ..but like I said I do not know for sure.
I can still walk but I can really feel the soreness/pain in my foot/ankle. The cut seems to be in a place where it bends.
While fixing my computer I had the face plate off, as you know the computer is made from sharp sheet metal. I was walking by and I cut it. I was very busy at the time and didn't really pay too much attention to it. I knew I cut it, I looked at it and that was about it, until it started to heal. About 5 days ago I had my husband look at my ankle and it looked like I had sprained it; swollen and bruised around the ankle bone and to the top of the joint. Weird. I know I didn't sprain it.
Last night I started putting a water. I have not taken any medication for this.
How can I upload a picture for you?

Thank you,
AAAAA

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 31 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the quick reply

From the description given by you it looks like you have a anti inflammatory agents. Continue applying the topical antibiotic you could add on diclofenac with serratiopeptidase for the pain. Please approach a general surgeon for a prescription.

It cannot be a nerve injury as a nerve injury would lead to loss of power and numbness as your primary symptom and not pain.

You can attach photos through the 'attach file' option on the lower right hand side.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have any further ones I will be happy to get back to you

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Cut on old scar, painful and sensitive, red and warm, no discharge, some swelling. Should I be concerned about pain? 2 hours later
I am sending you a picture by uploading another report.

I am just no understanding the intensity of the pain if it is a soft tissue injury.. Does it have anything to do with the fact that it is on a scar?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 17 hours later
Hello

Thanks for uploading the photo

The intensity of the pain theoretically should decrease if a wound is present over the scar but I feel the pain is due to the exposed superficial nerves (ones that supply the skin) and it should come down in sometime. I would advice you to cover it up with a gauze or a band aid. I am pretty sure no major nerves are involved. You could also use the pain killer I have suggested previously.

I hope I was of help
Sorry for the short delay in my reply, I was held up at the hospital

Follow-up: Cut on old scar, painful and sensitive, red and warm, no discharge, some swelling. Should I be concerned about pain? 27 minutes later
Thank you! You have helped tremendously.

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 21 minutes later
Hello

I am happy I was of help

Do write a review if you have got the time.