Cut on foot, itchy, red lines, no blood

I am Male, 32, overall good health. Yesterday I recieved a small cut in the arch of my foot, presumably from a freshwater clam shell in my XXXXXXX FL freshwater lake. I did nothing to treat it. Wasnt that bad. No Blood. Naturally it was a little red and itchy, but the itchy area spread upward into the side of my foot and now there are a few faint red lines growing in instep of my foot. The itchy area is stemming from the cut and is visibly red tint to the area.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 17 hours later

Your query has been answered by our specialist Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Consultant Dermatologist.

Kindly find the specialist's answer below:

Itching on the borders of the wound may occur due to two conditions:
1. Normal healing process.
2. Infection

From your description of the injury I presume the wound is clear and not infected. The redness could be due to increase blood supply to the region to promote the healing process.

Assuming it to be a superficial wound, my advice would be:
1. Keep the wound clean.
2. Wash it plenty of water and soap regulary as foot prone to get dirty.
3. Apply antiseptic powder like neosporin.
4. Keep it open, use dressing only when wearing shoes.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.