Cut index finger. Used first ad to stop bleeding. Have larger swelling and lack mobility. Next move?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
About a month ago i was out camping and cut my right index finger on a piece of glass. i was too far away from emergency medical help, so i used my bleeding and clean it up. The wound healed reasonably quick but now i have large swelling still and lack of mobility. when contacted the wound still hurts. What is my next move.

Posted Fri, 25 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to consult an Orthopedic surgeon.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on the description of symptoms, you could have possibly developed an Infection in the wound which is still hurting you.

Swelling and lack of mobility is suggestive of a possible TENDON injury in the involved finger. This may need a surgical repair, if the tendon is completely severed.

I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed examination and further management. There is no role of self care measures in your case.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further.