Cut a tablet of Levitra into half. Will it retain its effectiveness?

Once I cut a 20mg tablet of Levitra in half how long will it retain it's potency. Does a tablet which has been cut in half loose it's effectiveness after a number of weeks or months?
Posted Fri, 9 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 1 hour later

You have asked a query whether breaking a pill into half reduces its potency. This depends on many factors like:
- whether the tablets are directly exposed to sun-light and moisture (humidity)
- whether it is used as soon as possible after making into two half
- the expiry date.

Exposure to sun light and moisture and prolonged storage can reduces its potency. However if you wish to store the broken tablet, it is better to keep the remaining piece in the same strip covered and away from sun light.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.
Follow-up: Cut a tablet of Levitra into half. Will it retain its effectiveness? 4 hours later
I got your response, however my question relates specifically to HOW LONG a pill that has been cut in half maintains it's potency. Assume that there are no negative environmental factors as to storage, heat, humidity etc, nor any issues around expiration date the question then is: IS THERE A TIME FACTOR THAT A PILL THAT HAS BEEN CUT IN HALF MIGHT LOOSE IT'S POTENCY MORE RAPIDLY THAN ONE THAT HAS NOT BEEN CUT IN HALF??
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 7 hours later

Welcome back,

All I can say is up to few weeks.

There are various scientific studies done to know about potency, half life and side effects. However there are no robust studies to know the shell life of a drug after the pill is broken. Therefore no one even the manufacturer of the pill can give you the exact shelf life. The normal shelf life of Levitra is about 3 yrs (for entire pill NOT for broken pill in Packing).

Hope you are cleared about your doubts. Let me know if you need clarifications.