Curved erection after carotid dissection stroke. Is this common?

Neurologist
Question
hi, i m a 64-yr-old male 3 yrs out from a carotid dissection stroke on the right side. Although I can have an erection it curves upward. It is no longer straight. Is This common ? Can it be caused by medications or is it due to spasticity?What are my options? Help!
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 6 hours later

From the details mentioned to me, I personally feel that the problem is neither caused by carotid dissection stroke or the side effects of medications prescribed in you. Spasticity does not cause curvature problems.

So I personally recommend you to XXXXXXX an Urologist for a good physical examination and consultation for causes of penile curvature.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your Urologist.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Curved erection after carotid dissection stroke. Is this common? 11 hours later
Can you ask one of your staff urologists what the causes of penile curvature are?
Physical, psychological, other?
Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 18 hours later
Hello

Let me explain you why the penis tend to curve when erect. Anatomically the penis contains two chambers on each on side of the shaft, called the corpora cavernosa. When a penis become stimulated a rush of blood fills these chambers and numerous tiny blood vessels making it hard and straight.

The corpus cavernosum is surrounded by elastic called the tunica albuginea, that stretches during an erection. If injured, and the injury does not heal properly, scar tissue can render it inflexible and the penis will curve or become irregularly formed when erect.

Apart from the injury, the other is the chronic Inflammation of the Tunica Albuginea (CITA) or Peyronie's Disease, is a connective tissue disorder involving the growth of fibrous plaques in the soft tissue of the penis affecting up to 10% of men. Specifically, scar tissue forms in the tunica albuginea, the thick sheath of tissue surrounding the corpora cavernosa causing pain, abnormal curvature, erectile dysfunction, indentation, loss of girth and shortening.

A variety of treatments have been used, but none have been especially effective. Underlying cause of Peyronie's Disease is not well understood, but is thought to be caused by trauma or injury to the penis usually through sexual activity although many patients often are unaware of any traumatic event or injury.

Rarely a class of anti-hypertensive drugs known as calcium channel blockers may be a possible cause of or exacerbate the disease, although it has not been proven. However, all beta blocker drugs (Atenolol) list Peyronie's disease as a possible side effect.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Curved erection after carotid dissection stroke. Is this common? 2 hours later
Thank you, XXXXXXX this answer is informative and I will accept next time around.

Be well.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 53 minutes later
Hello.

Thanks.

I wish you good health.

Regards.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist