Currently taking prozac. Will stopping it for few days will delay the progress?

Hello doctor i am currently taking prozac 20mg since a the nxt 15 days i will be going for a three day trip where i will be drinking heavy alcohol..should i stop prozac for those 3 days ? Will it delay my progress ?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 40 minutes later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

Proazc (fluoxetine) is an SSRI anti-depressant. Alcohol in large quantity may interfere with its action as it depresses the nervous system.

It is not advocated to drink heavy alcohol on Prozac. It is not advisable to stop it suddenly and drink alcohol. It may hamper your progress.

You should be guided by your regular doctor’s advice regarding alcohol as he best knows your need for Prozac. Stopping Prozac suddenly can also cause adverse symptoms like headache, dizziness, tingling, numbness, sickness etc.

I would advise to refrain from alcohol.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

It helps us to improve continuously if you could please write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!
Follow-up: Currently taking prozac. Will stopping it for few days will delay the progress? 5 minutes later
Thank u doctor..i will just restict myself to beer then and will not stop the many beers do u suggest is ok per day ?
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 4 minutes later
Everybody may react slightly differently to alcohol.
I think your doctor is the best guide to answer you exactly, since he knows your affection exactly.

I would not recommend more than 1-2 glasses of beer.
Please discuss with your doctor if this is not acceptable to you.

You can enjoy holidays without drinks too!! Am I not right??
Take care and enjoy !!