Currently suffering with a cold, dry and cracked lips. Suggest medication?

I'm a healthy male currently suffering with a cold. I have a two part question. The first...are there any remedies you can recommend for the common cold?

And two, I have experienced dry lips as a result of the cold. I think my lower lip has cracked/split tonight. I have since put ointment on my lips but I wanted to attach photos to make sure this is nothing like a cold sore. I do not have HSV1 to the best of my knowledge and take steps to keep it that way. Can you recommend anything for the pain of the split lip if that is indeed what it is? Thanks!
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 20 days later
Thanks for the query and photographs.
For common cold you can take anti histamine and decogestant syrup which are commonly available over the counter.
Regarding cracked lips, as correctly mentioned by you, its not herpes.
It is just due to cold.
Please apply petroleum jelly like vaseline.
You must apply it every hourly to protect your lips from further drying.
Let me know if you have any other doubts.
Thank you