Currently have shingles and started course of Aciclivir. How long is shingles contagious?

Question
How long is shingles contagious for. I currently have shingles and started a 7 day course of Aciclivir on Sunday when my first spot appeared.
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Guru 42 minutes later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!
Shingles (Herpes zoster) is much less infective than chicken pox (both caused by the virus Varicella. Patient usually remains infective for about 7 days from the day of onset of rash.

It is advisable to avoid contact with infants and young children who have never had chickenpox and avoid contact with the immunocompromised and those undergoing chemotherapy.

Please let me know if you have any further queries!

Take Care!