Current glomerular filtration rate is 61. Is the kidney function ok?

General Surgeon
my current gfr is 61 is this ok
kidney function.
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

Your GFR lies within the normal range for your age. The normal range of GFR, after adjusted for body surface area, is similar in both men and women, and is in the range of 100-130 ml/min/1.73m2. After age 40, GFR decreases progressively and regularly with age, by about 0.4 - 1.2 mL/min per year.

Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Follow-up: Current glomerular filtration rate is 61. Is the kidney function ok? 3 hours later
my follow up question is that 6 weeks ago mygfr was 70
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 19 hours later

Nice to see you again

GFR (glomerular filtration rate) is the test to measure the level of kidney function and determine stage of kidney disease.

In your case gfr is decreasing slightly faster than expected .So it indicates kidneys functions are decreasing at more speed than expected for your age .

In case of certain chronic renal diseases gfr decreases at higher rates.

In such cases opinion of nephrologist is desirable and further investigation in the form of ultrasound ,CT scan ,MRI ,even renal biopsy may be required to pin point the nature of the disease.

‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”