Curious if the shape of my skull is normal. Am I affected by plagiocephaly or craniosynostosis?

Neurologist
Question
Dear doctor,
The question I'm about to ask along with the attached images may sound very strange but I'd really appreciate it if you could just bear with me. I've always been curious if the shape of my head (skull) is normal. I wanna know if my skull had or has been affected by any sort of cranial deformity. (all kinds of plagiocephaly, craniosynostosis, etc.) Everyone around me says the shape of my head looks totally fine and has not been affected by any sort of deformation but I'd like to find out if it really is by receiving your (professional) confirmation. Do you need the front view as well? if it's necessary, I'll attach it upon request. Thank you.

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 16 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the query

From the images provided to me I personally feel you do not have any skull deformities. Your skull symmetrical with a slightly prominent vertex.

So I personally request you not to worry for skull deformities like plagiocephaly or craniosynostosis.

I thank you again for submitting the query. Hope, I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R.
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Curious if the shape of my skull is normal. Am I affected by plagiocephaly or craniosynostosis? 1 hour later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX R,

Thank you very much for your consultation.

Just a few more questions and that's it:

1. "Your skull symmetrical with a slightly prominent vertex" - I've seen this in some others as well but is this a normal thing? Also, is it normal to have a little bit pointy head?

2. If someone faces straightforward and the highest point of his / her head is not right in the middle but either slightly to the left or slightly to the right, is that still okay? Does it require a surgery? In other words, is it still considered normal?

The reason I'm asking those two silly questions is that I don't know what the standard of 'normal looking skull' is. Thank you very much Dr. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the follow up query

Regarding the skull shape, I personally feel your skull shape is normal and I have seen them in many. Most abnormal skull shapes come from birth process and due to positional head deformities in the infancy.

Surgery is required in deformed skull for two reasons. One is to make the skull more roomy to accommodate the growing brain and the other for cosmetic purpose.

So I personally feel your skull is normal and surgery would be required only for cosmetic purpose.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist