Cure for hepatitis C infection, liver cirrhosis, fibrosis, and steatosis?

hi.. my mom is suffering with Acute liver disease.. Hepatitis C infection and liver chirrosis.. Fibrosis grade F4 and steatosis grade S0. Grade 2 easophageal verices. In Stomach No GAVE No PHG. I have attached some documents. Please tell me if my mom can be cured at this stage or if the virus can be stopped spreading. Please tell the medication.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am here to assist you. I am very sorry to hear about your mother's condition. Hepatitis C over a period of time can cause two things - Liver cirrhosis and liver cancer. Unfortunately your mother has developed cirrhosis of liver. This is a condition in which the liver is destroyed and replaced by scar tissue which affects its function. This is irreversible. The only solution for it is liver transplantation. Usually treatment is give to prevent complications. Complications include blood vomiting/black stools due to bleeding from varices. Fluid accumulation may occur in the abdomen and legs. This occurs in a later stage and fortunately your mother has not reached this stage. The other complications include poor kidney function, and it may cause drowsiness and other brain dysfunction. Treatment is usually given to prevent these complications. Since she is positive for Hep C, treatment should be given to eradicate it. Usually it is done with Peg Interferon injection once a week and C.Ribavirin everyday. The duration of treatment depends on the genotype of Hep C. During the course of treatment the viral load is checked and based on the response only it is decided whether to continue the treatment or not. So the answers for your question - 1. Liver cirrhosis due to hep C is irreverisble 2. Yes hep C virus can be treated and kept under control. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini