Cure for Eale's disease? Go for AKT 4?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
AS STATE ABOVE THE BRIEF MEDICAL HISTORY

MY BASIC QUESTION IS WHETHER I SHOULD GO FOR AKT 4.
IS THERE ANY CURE FOR EALE'S DESEASE IN EYE
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Do you have significant visual impairment in the eye involved in retinal detachment?

Have you experienced weight loss recently, any loss of appetite?

Eale's disease is inflammation in the eye which causes sudden bleeding points inside the eye and visual loss. Commonest association of this disease is Tuberculosis, hence it is commonly found in India.

AKT4 is one of the treatments for Tuberculosis. As Quantiferon, Mantoux tests are negative and HRCT shows only fibrotic nodule, this means no active Tuberculosis is present. This could mean that latent Tuberculosis may be present in some cases. Your Doctor is being careful to eradicate the disease from you, should Tuberculosis be present in latent stage.

There is no appreciable medical treatment for Eale's disease. Usually Systemic steroids like Prednisolone will reduce symptoms in the eye. If you have significant visual loss, a steroid injection inside eye may be required. Also Vitamin A, C, E is important in reducing eye problems due to inflammation. Photocoagulation laser therapy may be required for significant retinal detachment and blurring of vision. Do consult with your Ophthalmologist about these options.

Hence, there is no cure but only regular treatment mainly by steroids which is required. If Tuberculosis is treated, there is a chance of remission and definite improvement.

Do comply with your Doctor and have faith in the treatment.

Have a diet XXXXXXX in protein, fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Take medications on time. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. Do daily exercise to improve immune system like brisk walking.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.