Cupping in both hands since birth, doing stretching. Distal arthrogyrposis type I?

Hi, I am a 27 year old male, with cupping in both hands since birth. I have recently found information on Distal Arthrogryposis Type I, and was wondering if this looked like a typical case. I have recently begun stretching and am just wondering if this is the best course of action, thanks in advance.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Arthrogryposis is usually symmetrical in presentation and affects both the limbs equally.It is mainly a connective tissue disorder and diagnosis can be confirmed by muscle biopsies, blood tests and general clinical findings.
Physical therapy, casting , splinting and orthopedic correction procedures can be helpful in relieving the contractures to large extent and help in improving the quality of life.
You can discuss all these options with an orthopedic surgeon. At your age, surgical correction has best results. The stretching techniques are helpful mostly in young children.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.