Crying a lot after mother's death. Is this normal? Missing my mother

My mother died last July, and it was very hard for me, as I was her caregiver for many years. I did not cry much then, I suppose because I expressed so much emotion visiting her at the nursing home the past two years. But lately I have been crying at the drop of a hat, at anything that reminds me of her. Is this normal? I seem to miss her more now than I did when she died.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
I am sorry to hear about your mother.
It is sometimes normal to feel depressed after your loved ones are gone. Although you knew the situation well still after it actually happens, it often becomes difficult to control your emotions.
Most likely this rush of emotions will gradually subside after some time.
You need to remain close to your family and friends with whom you can talk and share your feelings. Other than that some simple measures that can help you include-
1. Practice relaxation exercises like yoga, XXXXXXX breathing exercises, etc.
2.Do a regular workout or exercise like aerobics.
3. Decrease sugar intake in your diet.
4. Indulge in some interesting hobbies.
5.Listen to music , go to parks or picnics with friends, etc.
These will relax your tension to a large extent and you will find your life interesting. There are some drugs like escitalopram, sertraline, etc which can help you in early recovery but these should be taken only after proper consultation with your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Crying a lot after mother's death. Is this normal? Missing my mother 11 hours later
Thank you doctor for your reply. My health problems seem to be much worse now, too, in the last six months - besides the Sjogrens symptoms, I am getting eczema on my face a lot. Is this related to stress about my mother dying?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Flaring up of immune related disorders like eczema is common during stress and depression.
Once you come over your emotions, these episodes will decrease gradually.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Crying a lot after mother's death. Is this normal? Missing my mother 12 hours later
Thank you for your help! I really appreciate having this service available.
You are most welcome.
You can keep me updated with your progress.