Ask a Dentist   »  

Crown placed on upper molar. Bony hard lump appeared with pain and itching. What is wrong?

Hi, I had a crown placed on my upper molar apprx 3 months ago. It still feels tender and itchy and now there is a large bony hard lump protruding from behind it. I also am congested a lot and have slight ear pressure and pain on that side of my face...what is wrong
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 57 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query,

Prosthetic crown coverage is usually done after the tooth is devitalized completely by root canal treatment. I am not clear whether your upper molar is vital or devital, so please let me know if the molar is treated by root canal procedure.

Your current clinical history suggests your upper molar is most likely infected and therefore it is tender as it involves the dental nerve tissue. When the infection gets worse, it spreads to the surrounding structures leading to formation of periodontal abscess. The large lump you notice behind the molar is most likely a periodontal abscess protruding in the oral cavity. It needs to be drained and compressed professionally by a dentist.

I would suggest you to get X-ray examination done for the affected area which will show the spread of infection and the structures involved. The treatment can be carried out accordingly. You may need to get the crown needs replaced once the infection and swelling is subsided

The ear congestion and ear pressure may be an extension of the same infection (or) a co-existing ear problem independent of the tooth issue.

Please let me know if the tooth has undergone root canal procedure so that I can get back to you with a measure.

I hope this is helpful.

Dr.Farah Hussain.
Follow-up: Crown placed on upper molar. Bony hard lump appeared with pain and itching. What is wrong? 15 hours later
Thank you for this info. No root canal procedure was done, it was a large older filling that the dentist said I needed to replace. He drilled out the old silver one and then placed a crown on the remaining tooth. THis was done Dec 28th. I am very particular about flossing and brushing, but I notice the red slight puffyness behind this crowned molar and the sensation that I want to chew or bite down on it to ease the itchy pressurized feeling..I chew a lot of gum to do this..I am going to make a follow up appointment with the dentist who placed this crown just to be safe..
Answered by Dr. Farah Hussain 8 hours later

If root canal procedure is not done over the tooth, it means the crown coverage was placed on the vital tooth after a gross filling.

In this case, swelling in the area can be of two types, it is either a gum infection that has lead to gum boil or gingival abscess or it is an abscess arising from tooth infection.

This can be confirmed by taking an X XXXXXXX of the affected area.

Accordingly, if it is gum infection, thorough deep curettage of the gums followed by a course of antibiotic and analgesic will solve your problem. If the infection involves the tooth nerve, you may need to for root canal treatment to disinfect and devitalize the tooth followed by replacement of the crown.