Crown of head not closed for a 11 month old. Ultrasound showing enlarged left and right cerebral. Diagnosed as Intracranial hypertension. Is it right?

Hi, I want to get some information. My baby is 11 month old. her crown of the head has not closed yet. we checked her head with ultrasound. everything showed normal but the size of left and right cerebral showed 5 mm. Norm was less or equal to 4. The doctor diagnosed it as Intracranial Hypertension. I want to know if it is right diagnose or not? how can i treat it which medicine we might give her.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later

From the information provided to me it looks like there is dilatation of the ventricles with open fontanelle. Possibility could be due to a condition called as Hydrocephalus which is due to either increased production of brain fluid (CSF) or due to decreased removal.

More important is to see if head circumference of the child is increasing over a period of time.

So I personally feel child has to be investigated for the possibility of early hydrocephalus with imaging of the brain and evaluate further based on the suspected etiology.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist