Crossbite in 1.5 year old. Crouzon syndrome or early ossification? Mental challenges?

Dear Doctor,

We are facing a major trouble with our 1,5 year old daughter. Her theething shows quite a severe crossbite and all the ortodonts we have seen, say that it is too early to be more specific. They believe it is either the faster development of lower jaw or then early ossification of maxillary sutures.

Meanwhile we have been reading ourselves about these symptoms in the internet and ended up with horrifying conditions like Crouzon syndrome. About this one the ortodont believes we are not dealing with as the girl has been developing otherwise very well (both mentally and physically).

Despite that we can not get an answer what will it mean if we are dealing with early ossification. Is it treatable nowadays, does it bring along some mental challenges for the child, does it mean that her face will look at some stage different?

If you could share with us any more details about this condition, perhaps we could limit our nervousness and be able to take the proper actions for the future.

Best regards from very much worried parents,
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 9 hours later

Thank you for the question that you have asked here.

Cross-bites need not only be a part of syndromes as you seem to have got the impression. They can be isolated problems.

You could show her to a pediatrician who may order a skull X XXXXXXX or a Computed Tomography scan to confirm or rule out Crouzon's disease or any of the other similar disorders. You could suspect something like this if the shape of the skull is abnormal - flat in the front to back or side to side axis.

However, let me point out to you that below the age of one year, even a child with Crouzon or some other form of premature-suture-closure disease MAY HAVE NORMAL INTELLECT AND DEVELOPMENT. If, therefore, a disease of the type you fear IS diagnosed, you will have to seek advice on surgery very soon.

Having said all this, I request you to first see a pediatrician and get a few X rays done. Then, you may contact me. If you wish, you may send me the scanned Xrays and other images via email at YYYY@YYYY .

Have a good day, and be blessed.I will be available for follow up.

- Dr. Taher Kagalwala