Crescent-shaped skin lesions on back and chest, itchy, not painful, spreading. Any ideas?

my mother has crescent shaped skin lesions on her arms upper back and upper chest area. they don't hurt but they do itch. As they get older they spread to 5 or 6 inches wide and close in the open part of the crescent. Any Ideas
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 10 hours later

I will require a little more details before commenting on the suspected diagnosis.
Please tell me

1. How long have the lesions been present?
2. WHat is the clor of the lesions--red? brown?
3. What is the color of the skin- white or black?
4. Do the lesions resolve with time or do they persist?

Also please attach a pic of the lesion in the space provided on the right hand side of the query page.
Follow-up: Crescent-shaped skin lesions on back and chest, itchy, not painful, spreading. Any ideas? 54 minutes later
She has had these lesions off and on for many years. They are red in color and she has white skin. She has had the current bout of sores for 6 or 7 months.
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 20 hours later

Thank you for the good quality pics.

Your mother has a type of Annular Erythemas.

The likely possibilities are Erythema Annulare Centrifugum (EAC) or Erythema gyratum Repens (EGR).

EAC is an innocous problem, usually resolves with time. Sometimes associated with an XXXXXXX infection.

EGR is a much serious condition, associated with an XXXXXXX malignancy (cancer).

Thus I will suggest you to see a Dermatologist personally as soon as possible, to arrive at a precise diagnosis and then move forward.

The Dermatologist may order some tests like skin biopsy, Ultrasound, Blood tests etc.

I hope I have answered your query.