Creamy tongue,red spots,bad breath

Hi Doctor, I am a 23 year old male from UK. I have a creamy tongue all the time, i use a tongue scraper but it always comes back. Near the back of the tongue there are little red spots. I am too embarrased to go to my own doctor. The breath also smells about 15mins after brushing. Please help. I thought i was in general good health. I also still breakout in spots could this be linked to the creamy tongue and is it serious.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. Creamy tongue and bad smelling breath can be due to oral thrush which is a fungal infection caused by Candida fungus. Thrush appears as white patches in the mouth on the tongue, inside the cheeks, under the tongue, and in the back of the throat. I suggest you to get an examination done from your doctor and get a KOH examination of the scrapings done of these white coatings. This will confirm the diagnosis of thrush.

The other possibilities are of oral lichen planus or leukoplakia. Oral lichen planus appears as raised white lines on your tongue that has a lace-like appearance. Leukoplakia ia a precancerous condition that causes cells in the mouth to grow excessively which leads to the formation of white patches inside the mouth, including on the tongue. But this is the last possibility and should be thought of only when investigations come negative for thrush and lichen planus.

I suggest you to get a KOH examination from your doctor and till that time antifungal like nystatin liquid can be used for swishing a bit in your mouth several times a day and then swallowing the medicine. Throat lozenges can also be used. Thrush is not serious and is treatable with topical and oral antifungals.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Creamy tongue,red spots,bad breath 58 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX for your answer to my query. I will need to just build up the courage and go see my doctor to get proper diagnosis. Can you explain how i still break out with spots, can thrush be causing this i doubt it. Where can i get the suggested products?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later

Oral thrush causes creamy white patches or small red spots on the tongue, roof of the mouth (also called the hard palate), gums or throat. Crusting on the corners of the mouth is also a symptom of thrush.

You can get the suggested products from your pharmacist. But it is advisable to take oral antifungals after a prescription from your doctor.

Hope this answers your query.