Cramps, nausea, dizzy, tender breasts, warm body. Delayed periods. Could I be pregnant?

hi, im due my period today, but the last few days ive had severe cramps, feel nausea and faint and dizzy, my breasts are very tender and am very warm in myself and the past week or two feeling exhausted. My period hasn't arrived yet. Usually i don't have any symptoms whatsoever with my period and no pain whatsoever Is there a chance i could be pregnant as all the symptoms above are very strange for me.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Although the symptoms you are feeling are non specific and are not confirmatory of pregnancy, but since you have not got your periods till now, the first thing that needs to be ruled out is pregnancy.

There are no sure symptoms of pregnancy especially nausea and cramping. Cramping can occur as part of possible hormone influence or even in pathological conditions of reproductive tract.

Sometimes abdominal cramps can appear due to possible gastrointestinal disturbance which can be associated with nausea.

You need to test the pregnancy status by doing a urine for pregnancy test for which kits are readily available in market. Use a morning sample of urine and presence of two lines means a positive test.

Alternately you can consult a gynecologist immediately who will do a serum beta hcg test (more specific than urine test) and a pelvic ultrasound to confirm or rule out pregnancy.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.