Ask a Urologist   »  

Cramps in lower abdomen while urinating and constant urge to urinate. What should I do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016
Excellent

Urologist
Question
I am having horrible cramps in lower abdomen. Hurts when I urinate. Always feel like I have to urinate. I haven't had a uti for like 10 years. I never had one like this. I keep sitting in a hot bath to help with pain. I've been taking azo over 24 hours not helping. What do I do?
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
t could be due Interstitial Cystitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query.Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have severe pain in abdomen while passing urine ,Increased frequency of urination and urge to pass urine since last 10 years.

You have these symptoms since 10 years so I assume that you have consulted a qualified Urologist and done almost all the basic tests like routine urine test,Urine culture,Ultrasound scanning of the abdomen etc and have been taking antibiotics and muscuranic drugs to get relief.

Considering the chronic nature of your symptoms I think it could be mostly due to a condition called as Interstitial Cystitis .which is very common in females.

The only test that can confirm this is endoscopic examination of a Bladder and taking a small piece of bladder tissue(Biopsy) for histopathological examination.

Please consult qualified Urologist and discuss the need for these tests to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Cramps in lower abdomen while urinating and constant urge to urinate. What should I do? 2 minutes later
I said i have not gotten a uti in ten years. This seems more severe then the uti i had long ago. This started yesterday an has increasingly got worse

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is acute UTI.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Sorry for misunderstanding on my part.
.
You have fresh episode of UTI .
Please get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Please take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefotaxime along with urinary antiseptics like Nitrofurantoin and urinary antispasmodics like Flavoxate and urine alkaliser twice daily and later on switch on to appropriate antibiotic as per culture report .

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water.To keep your urine dilute This will help to control dysuria.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Cramps in lower abdomen while urinating and constant urge to urinate. What should I do? 30 minutes later
Thank you

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for feedback.Please do write in case you need any help from me.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.