Cramps during periods, sore breasts, negative pregnancy test. Normal tissue discharge?

Hi, I started my period last night, and today i had really bad cramps, onpad there was these XXXXXXX chunks of tissues I never notice having that before. My breast are still sore, and its leaving tons of questions in my head. I took a preg. test last week it was neg. my cycle is very irregular. Is this normal tissue discarge ? Should I take another pt? I thought all pms symptoms go away after the start of a cycle? My last 8 cycles XXXXXXX 21st 2011, Aug. 10th 2011, Nov. 21st 2011, Dec. 30th 2011, Feb 23 2012, April 4th 2012, July 18 2012, and one just starting Sept 11th 2012. Me an hubs are are sexually active with out protection.
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The first thing that I notice in what you are saying is the irregularity in your cycle. It appears like you are having what we call "anovulatory" bleeding, which means that you are not ovulating at all, or very irregularly. This leads to skipped periods, heavy bleeding, and abnormal bleeding.

That being said, your concern is passage of tissue. This is very likely related to you irregular cycling. Old blood and buildup from the lining of the uterus can certainly make its way out as what appears to be "tissue".

It is never a bad idea to re-check a pregnancy test if things are confusing.

Here is what I would recommend:
1. If you are trying to get pregnant, then you need to talk with your doctor about medications that might regulate your cycle better
2. If you are NOT trying to get pregnant, then you need something to regulate the cycle while you figure out the cause (such as birth control pills).

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions! - DR XXXXXXX