Cramps, dull sensation in stomach, frequent urination, late periods, negative pregnancy test. Any idea?

General Surgeon
Hi I have been experiencing cramp like pains,blasting feeling and like a dull sensation in my stomach for the last few weeks. I am also urinating more than I usually do and my period is late but I did a pregnancy test and it was negative, any ideas what could be wrong?
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 42 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It would be easier to answer your question if you would specify where is your pain localized, and if you suffer from fever, nausea, constipation, diarrhea, burning during urinating.

According to your more frequent urinating, it could be urinary tract stones. This is often associated with lower abdominal pain sometimes radiating to one side back, burning when urinating. Blood can be present in urine.

Your period delay may be caused by pregnancy (even if pregnancy test was negative, it should be repeated as in first two weeks it can not tell the truth). Abdominal pain and period delay makes it always suspicious of ectopic pregnancy.

Your pain me be also the result of ovarian cyst or ovarian inflammation.

If you suffer from acid reflux (witch is often associated with asthma) peptic ulcer may be the reason of abdominal pain. Gallstones may be painful as well.

So in conclusion you should have abdominal ultrasound, trans-vaginal ultrasound, fool blood work with liver and pancreas enzymes, urine test and endoscopy if necessary. You should also visit gynecologist.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.